Virtual ANNUAL NATIONAL DOCTORAL CONFERENCE 2020
“Building and Dynamising the Humanities and Social Sciences”
03 November - 06 November 2020
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS & FULL PAPERS
The National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIHSS) invites second and third year scholarship holders to its Virtual Annual National Doctoral Conference to be hosted in November 2020. The Conference is an initiative of the NIHSS, in partnership with the South African Humanities Dean Association (SAHUDA), and the Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), bringing together NIHSS funded students in the Humanities and Social Sciences who are completing their doctoral degrees at South African public universities.
All currently active NIHSS scholarship beneficiaries, are required to submit abstracts for oral presentations based on their doctoral studies. All abstracts and supporting documents must be submitted online by Friday, 25 September 2020.
- All currently active NIHSS scholarship beneficiaries.
- Complete the online abstract and full paper application form at https://gms.nihss.ac.za
- Provide an abstract describing your research in 600 words
- Provide a bio-sketch of no more than 300 words
- Attach a copy of ID/Passport
- Attach a head and shoulder high resolution photo
Abstract Submission Details
- Abstracts must be no more than 600 words.
- Abstracts must include: the significance of the topic, a description of the key issues being addressed, the methods utilised or that you plan to utilise, and preliminary ideas and findings, and/or emerging conclusions.
- Abstracts should be original work which has not have been published or presented elsewhere before the Conference.
Full Paper Submission Guideline
- Title page must contain the following:
- Full title of the paper with full contact details of author including email, and university.
- Abstract (150-200 words)
- The length of the paper should be 5000 – 7 000 words.
- The Chicago Referencing Style must be used, that is, references are cited in the text by the author(s) name(s), the year of publication and the page number(s) in brackets. For example (Gumede, 2003: 370), including the full list of references that appears at the end of the paper.
- Endnotes should be kept to a minimum and should be signalled by superscript numbers in the main text and listed at the end of the text before the references.
- Tables, figures, and graphics should be imbedded within the text.
- The full paper must be typed in Times New Roman 12-point font size, in 1,5 spacing.
- The submission file must be in Microsoft Word, RTF, and WordPerfect format.
- The full paper must be uploaded in the system
Data costs will be covered by the current NIHSS Data Initiative already in operation.
Submission Closing Dates:
- Ensure the Abstract is in the system by 25 September 2020
- Ensure the Full paper is uploaded in the system by 12 October 2020
PLEASE DIRECT ALL ENQUIRIES TO: email@example.com
FOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT, PLEASE CALL: 011 480 2300/28 OR SEND A QUERY TO ITSupport@nihss.ac.za
National Doctoral Conference